Wednesday, February 11, 2009

God damn Last Word!

Once AGAIN I sent something in to the Last Word, only to have it edited in moronic ways. Here's what I wrote:
It seems ridiculous to have to wait 20 minutes to check out at a store with 30 check lanes. They can afford to have a few more clerks on staff during busy shifts.
And, as printed:
It seems ridiculous to wait 20 minutes to check out at a store that has 20 check-out lanes. I'm sure it can afford to have a few more clerks on staff during busy shifts.
I can understand the grammatical changes, they want everyone's entry to sound alike and fit with the style of the newspaper itself. What I don't understand is why the number 30 was changed to 20. It makes no sense.

This is a new trend, too. Things I sent in years ago were never changed. I'd sent in dozens of comments, all of them printed word for word, until last summer. It's really pissing me off. What good is a public forum if what you're saying is being edited by the powers that be? They should just print whatever they're sent - poor spelling and grammar included - because people know it isn't the Gazette writing these comments. Everyone knows that the Last Word is written by the paper's readers.

No comments: